92nd BASIC POLICE CLASS
01/14/19 to 05/30/19
93rd BASIC POLICE CLASS
07/15/19 to 11/29/19
Registration is contingent upon the fact that your candidate is now, or will be by the first day of class, employed as a sworn member of your department. A copy of the hiring resolution must be forwarded to the Academy on or before the first day of class.
To better prepare our police recruits for what they can expect upon graduation, each recruit will be issued a bulletproof vest to wear during the twenty-two weeks of training. The vest will be returned at the conclusion of the Basic Police Course and is issued not for ballistic coverage, but rather for the recruit to experience the feel of wearing body armor. Therefore, uniform shirts for basic recruits should be tailored to fit over the vest.
P.O.S.T. Orientation is scheduled for the first day of class and attendance is mandatory. The remainder of the week is reserved for Departmental Agency Training which must be satisfactorily completed by the trainee. Certification to this effect must be provided to the Academy upon the recruits return to class in the form of a completed Police Training Commission Trainee Record Card. The card must be signed by the Chief of Police.
Tuition is $500.00 for in-county (Morris) students and $1,000 for all out-of-county students. It is requested that a voucher or check accompany registration. Should a trainee be removed from the program, either by the sending agency or the Academy prior to the fourth week of training, seventy-five (75%) of the tuition will be refunded. No refunds will be made after the fourth week of training.
The Police Training Commission requires the department, the trainee, and the examining physician review the contents of their Mandatory Medical Examination Packet. The packet contains a letter to the prospective trainee, trainee Health History Statement, a letter to the examining physician, and Medical Certification Form, as well as a copy of the Physical Conditioning Exercise Program. The packet will be forwarded with confirmation of registration or upon request.
Additional requirements are:
- A certificate of Insurance naming the County of Morris as an additional insured
- A letter, certifying that a background investigation has been conducted on the trainee and the trainee has passed a psychological evaluation.
All required paperwork must be received by the Academy prior to the first day of class.
It is suggested that your candidate be in good physical condition or begin a progressive physical conditioning program well in advance of the course’s starting date.
Minimum Equipment Required for Basic Police Training
- 1 Brass name tag with black letters
- 2 Pair Navy Blue Trousers
- 1 Pair Navy Blue BDU Trousers
- 2 Long Sleeve Navy Blue Shirt with Military Creases baked or sewn in, Epaulets and Badge Holder (SHIRT NEED TO FIT OVER BULLETPROOF VEST)
- 1 Black 2″ Garrison Belt with Square Chamber 2″ BRASS BUCKLE
- 1 Pair Black Uniform Shoes
- 1 Pair Black Unifo1m Boots
- 1 M-65 Black Field Jacket
- 2 Black Baseball Caps
- 1 Uniform Black Tie
- 1 Black Wool Watch Cap
- 2 Pair Black Socks
- 1 Whistle (black)
Athletic Equipment & Apparel
- 1 Gym Bag Properly Marked with Name & Department
- 2 Pair White Socks
- 1 Pair Sneakers [Blue or White]
- 1 Pair Black Weight Lifting Type Gloves
- Jump Rope
- Personal Toilet Articles: Black Towel, soap etc.
- Shower Shoes
As noted in the letter of introduction, recruits will be required to wear specific PT attire. It will consist of sweatpants and shirts, gym shorts and tee shirts. Plan on ordering a minimum of two (2) each of the items listed on the order form. An order form will accompany confirmation of registration.
- PR-24 Side Handle Baton or MEB, Straight baton, and holder
- Any Current Edition of N.J. Criminal Law and N.J. Motor Vehicle Law (Title 39) [Gann-Gould-Loose Leaf Law Books]
- Typing Paper [Final notes are to be typewritten]
- Ballpoint pen
- 12″ ruler
- #2 pencils
- Departmental Issue Weapon
- Departmental Issue Shotgun
- 20 Rounds 00 Buck Shot
- 1200 Rounds of Factory Loaded Ammo
- 2 Additional Ammo Magazines
- Hearing Protection
- Eye Protection
- Duty Holster
All ammunition MUST be factory loaded and if regular service ammunition is not being supplied then ammunition must be an equivalent load.
Physical Fitness Requirements
Effective January 1, 2017, all recruits will be required to meet the following physical fitness standards in all Law Enforcement Basic Classes in order to continue in the Class. Initial testing will be done during the first physical conditioning assessment of the basic law enforcement courses.
General Physical Conditioning Testing Procedures
- 1Warm up for at least three (3) minutes.
- Perform Vertical Jump, and then recover for 1-2 minutes.
- Perform the 1-Minute Sit-up, and then recover for 5 minutes.
- Perform the 300 Meter Run, and then recover for 10 minutes.
- Perform the 1 Minute Push-up, and then recover for 5 minutes.
- Perform the 1.5 Mile Run, and then recover for 5 minutes.
Physical Conditioning Passing Test Requirements
- Vertical Jump: 15 inches
- 1 Minute Sit-up: 28 repetitions
- 300 Meter Run: 70.1 seconds or less
- 1 Minute Push-up: 24 repetitions
- 1.5 Mile Run: 15:55 minutes or less
Trainees who fail will be given nine (9) physical conditioning sessions of remedial physical conditioning sessions to improve. Following the ninth (9th) remedial physical conditioning session they will be retested.