Candidates applying for the Alternate Route Program MUST meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and no older than 35 by the completion of the program.
- Is a citizen of the United States
- Is sound in body and of good health sufficient to satisfy the board of trustees of the Police and Firemen’s Retirement system of New Jersey as to his eligibility for membership in the retirement system
- Is able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently
- Is of good moral character, and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude.
- Must have minimum of 60 college credits or two (2) years active military service or a combination of the two. (Must provide DD 214 as proof of military service)
- Must be a resident of the State of New Jersey
- Individuals must provide two (2) proofs of residency
Study Guides for the exam will be available at the Academy. Individuals must bring proof of their registration in order to receive the Study Guide.